History of the OSGS
Tom Parry was at Sherborne from 1920-25 and then went to Cambridge where he became a distinguished cox on the river, but it was golf that was to become his abiding passion.
Parry became great friends with G.L. (Susie) Mellin, the secretary of the Halford Hewitt tournament, and two significant events flowed from this friendship. In 1929 Parry wrote to 150 Old Shirburnians asking if they would like to help form a golf society. The response was such that the Old Shirburnian Golfing Society was founded that year and a team was first entered for the Halford Hewitt in 1930.
The second event was in 1960 when Parry founded the G.L. Mellin Salver in memory of his great friend – a tournament for the over 50s (now 55s) of the second 16 schools to have entered the Halford Hewitt.
The 1930s saw the Society start a framework of meetings and matches which was expanded after the War. Today there are three meetings in the year, as well as 21 matches against clubs and other societies, making the Society the most active of its peer group. The Society provides golf for Shirburnians of all ages and standards, ranging from the serious competition of the tournaments (Halford Hewitt, G.L. Mellin, Grafton Morrish and Brent Knoll), to the sociable but equally competitive matches and meetings for all handicaps. To date, some 550 OS have played for the Society.
The Society is open to all Shirburnians and is particularly keen to encourage those under 32 by way of a subsidy towards the cost of a day’s golf.
Since 1929 the Society has played 528 tournament matches, 1,375 social matches and held 229 meetings. This has provided enjoyable golf for many Shirburnians and the only pity is that there are OS golfers who have never joined the Society.