The Brent Knoll 2015

This years Brent Knoll turned out to be a rather wet and windy affair and unfortunately Sherborne were not on their best form. We had beaten both the teams we were drawn against on Saturday last year but they were out for revenge. We were drawn against the Navy first. The top pair started ok with Pralle holing a 10 footer for a half at the first and Whalley chipping dead from the right of the second. After that we took 3 from around the green every time and produced a long run of bogeys which ended in defeat to a steady performance from the Navy on the the 13th green. The second match sparked into life on the 2nd hole when one of the Navy team refused a free drop from a plugged ball from the rough on the right of the second. Various discussions ensued including a phone call to the club house. Eventually the Navy captain in the third match confirmed the free drop as the local rule was printed on the notice board in the club and had also been told to us on the first tee! Nick Aubin was fuming about all the fuss and the Navy player was grumpy for the next 6 holes. The incident inspired the Sherborne pair who are to be congratulated for beating the 2 scratch golfers on the 17th green. The final pair are now standing on the 17th tee 2 up and looking good. However it was not to be plain sailing. With a 30mph wind off the right the high draw from Robin was blown well off course and lost in the buckthorn. Ed Kelly went back to the tee and hit a similar shot into the same place and also lost. The hole was conceeded. Two excellent drives down 18 left short irons to the green. Robin was just off the edge of the green and the Navy were 25 feet away. A good long put from Kelly went 6 feet past and Irvine holed with style and confidence to win the match 1 up.

All the effort on the last few holes took its time and we were already due on the tee when we finished. A rushed lunch and back out 20 mins later we were playing a return of last years final against the Wigorns. The top match got off to a good solid start and were 2 up after 5 and feeling much more in control. However that did not last. Whalley hit a bad drive at 6, a poor second at 7, a good drive at 8 that did not turn on the wind into a bunker and Pralles tee shot on 9 just spun back off the front of the green. We were 2 down at the turn and never recovered against steady golf. The news behind was not good when we heard that the 2nd match were 6 down and the last match were 3 down. However the 2nd match had launched a come back and were now 3 down but with 4 holes left. Unfortunately a spectacular second shot by the Wigorns from a bank on the right finshed 15 feet from the hole and the match was lost. The last match was also staging a come back and were only 1 down with 3 to go when a half was agreed.

A disappointing day from Sherborne who were in the Sunday Morning consolation stableford for the first time in over 10 years. We woke on Sunday to the gale that was forcast, with rain and a 50mph wind. We were relieved to hear when we got to the club that the stableford had been cancelled and the plate competition semi final and final were being played over 4 holes each. It was that bad. Good luck to the main event winners the Navy. They must have had a horrible 36 holes in the appalling conditions.

Match Details:


v Royal Navy at Burnham & Berrow on March 27th 2015  
N Whalley J Pralle M A Selway R J Moore 6&5
N Aubin E Fricker 2&1 G P Norris   A J Kippen
E Kelly R Irvine 1 up A A Hills S D Howard
Result Won 2-1 2


v Wigorns at Burnham & Berrow on March 27th 2015
N Whalley J Pralle P R Scarrettt A W Robinson 5&4
N Aubin E Fricker P A Greenhalgh M I Farmer 4&3
E Kelly R Irvine ½ N B Peplow D T Oliver ½
Result Lost 2½-½ ½